Tuesday 13 October 2015

PPP Task: Who are you?

Why you chose to study on this programme?
The tutors on my Foundation Art and Design course at Newcastle College were the ones who told me about the courses offered by Leeds College of Art. Upon further investigation I was impressed by the standard of work being produced by students on the programme and was immediately drawn to the animation course. At my interview I was very impressed with the college's wide range of digital, print and studio facilities, which I felt suited my 2D sensibilities while also granting me the resources to broaden my horizons into other forms of media such as 3D computer animation. The interviewers also seemed interested in what I had to say and what my interests were.

What do you want to learn during your time here?
What I want from this course is to refine my technical skills while also gaining a greater understanding of the industry and of the potential job roles within it. Over the course of the three years I want to be able to experiment with new forms of media in order to develop my own unique visual style, allowing my portfolio to stand out from the crowd.

What skills do you think are your strengths?
Coming from a Media Studies/English Language background I like to think I already have a fairly decent understanding of the language of film, in terms of how directors communicated certain messages through their direction, skills which should benefit me greatly in a field such as Animation, which relies almost entirely on visual language to communicate. Another strength in my work I feel is my illustrative style, more specifically the linework, which I feel is simple enough to be adapted to animation while also retaining a certain level of detail.

What things do you want to improve?
Figure drawing is not my strongest suit, so I need to attend a few life drawing sessions in order to gain a greater understanding of how to plan out the human anatomy for when designing my characters. I want to be able to create more expressive characters with distinct personalities as I feel most of my characters end up looking the same. Colour is also another area in which I feel I have room to improve, as my lack of experience and knowledge of colour theory often leads me to resort to using tonal greys to colour my illustrations.

What ways will you evaluate your progress?
Over the course of the year I will be garnering feedback from my tutors and peers while documenting it on my blog. This should allow me to identify in what aspects of my work I am succeeding and where I have room to improve. Of course at the end of each module I will be writing an evaluation of my work anyway, but by evaluating my work earlier during the development process it will allow me amend problems identified in my work by my peers in the earlier stages.

No comments:

Post a Comment